About the Department of Community Development
Under the direction of the Administration and Council, our team administers and regulates development in the Township. The
Department is guided by the Township Master Plan, which seeks to balance quality of life in Cherry Hill.
With this challenging mandate, we work to ensure that Cherry Hill remains an attractive place to live, while balancing commercial development, preserving
our environment and enhancing our sustainability for
generations to come.
The Master Plan, last codified in 2003 and officially
updated in 2007, analyzes population trends and determines development goals. Because most large-scale development occurred in decades past, top priorities in the plan now include preserving wetlands,
existing neighborhoods and open space, while promoting
smart growth. The Master Plan is the culmination of resident input, evaluation of
past and existing land uses, and the formulation of short- and long-term planning, growth, and preservation strategies.
The Office also enforces the Township's zoning ordinances and property maintenance regulations. Income-restricted housing rehabilitation programs are available through this office to assist Township residents.
Questions concerning zoning classification, minimum lot size requirements, permitted uses for property and sign regulations can be addressed to this office. The
team also processes applications to the
Zoning Board of Adjustment.
The following offices and services are available through the Community Development
- Zoning applications
- Sign applications
- Zoning questions, concerns, and complaints
- Bulk variance applications
- Use variance applications
- Sign variances
- Ordinance interpretations
- Appeals of an administrative officer
- Major/minor subdivision applications
- Site plan approvals
- Change of use and conditional use approval
- Sign variances
- Bulk variances
- Property Maintenance Code enforcement
- Questions, concerns, and complaints
- Income restricted programs
- Rental assistance programs
Housing Rehabilitation (US Government Block Grants)
- Home repair assistance for seniors and
- Questions and qualificationsns